Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Things I Did Because Mama Did 'Em

We all know that we model our parents and "learn" how to do life by their example. But over the last few years I've realized that some things I do have no logic to them. I simply do them because my mom did them that way. Allow me to explain...

1) Storing cooking oil under the kitchen sink with the cleaning supplies
For many years I did the same. Until one day I made the logical choice to store my oil with baking supplies. It just made more sense. I'm going to give my mother the benefit of the doubt and claim that she stored it under the sink because it's a tall bottle and won't fit in most cabinets. This past year, I helped my sister move and had to smile when I discovered her oil next to her 409.

2) Storing pancake syrup in the refrigerator
Now for this one, I have to admit I did the same until my sister-in-law pointed out the oddity to me. "Why does your mom put the syrup in the fridge? It doesn't have to be refrigerated and it just makes the pancakes cold." Hmmm...good point (as I snuck home and removed my syrup from the fridge).

3) Leave the cleaning sponge on the edge of the tub
Now this is actually not a bad idea. The sponge is handy and ready to use at any time. But I found that is just stays slimy from soap running into it and it collects hair. And then there was the time my 3 yr old nephew was taking a bath and I found him sucking on the sponge. Ewwwwww!

4 comments:

MrsMike said...

yeah the syrup thing is weird... but i do know a lot of other people who do it too!

and i do the same with the sponge. thankfully maks has his own tub so i dont leave it in his... but he has occasionally gotten into my bathroom and brought me my sponge. gross.

Terri said...

ha! This post both cracked me up, and made me feel self-conscious all at the same time! I'm pretty sure i need to walk about my house and check behind closed doors and read labels to see what kinds of oddities I've bought into myself!!! Love that it took being 40-something to see the strangeness of some of these things!!!

Anonymous said...

So I like putting the syrup in the frig. I like the cold and hot together.
Just me I know.
Dave

MrsMike said...

*poke* I tagged you on my blog!!