Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Tigers on the loose in Hampstead!

While sitting on my deck at dusk today, I was visited by several mosquitoes. I finally saw one land on my arm and thought it looked different than your average mosquito but I didn't think much of it. But after a few more landed on me, and I had a chance to really look at them, I noticed they were black and white. That was definitely unusual so I googled them and discovered that this was my visitor...













Asian Tiger Mosquito

Asian tiger mosquitoes were first found in North America in a shipment of used tires at the port of Houston in 1985. Thank you, Texas!

They carry diseases like every other mosquito. "Evidently, mutated strains of the Chikungunya virus are being directly transmitted through tiger mosquitoes particularly well and in such a way that another dispersal of the disease in regions with the Asian tiger mosquito is feared." Yippee! But I don't think I got bit. Will definitely be using bug spray regularly from now on.

Just thought my blog audience of two should know what killed me if found dead.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Ok, I am one of your audience of two!

Courtney said...

And I'm your other. But I bet there are more. Thanks for the warning! We are living in mosquito central!