Friday, September 9, 2011

Would you like frogs with that?

Yesterday I saw the cutest little frog board book. It must have been written by a local author because google doesn't have a picture of it. I debated about buying it. Now I wish I had.

I am reading this book by John Ortberg, one of my favorite authors. In today's chapter he uses the story of the plague of frogs. Go figure. Pharaoh has an entire labor union of slaves, the Israelites, at his disposal. When he has finally had enough frogs in his cereal, in his bed, in his chariot, and in his bath, he asks Moses to remove them. Moses says, "You name the time." Pharaoh replies, "Tomorrow."

WHAT??!! Crazy, isn't it? Why wouldn't Pharaoh say, "Immediately!"

Ortberg puts it, "Pharaoh has learned - he can live with frogs. He can tolerate a frog-saturated life. It's not great. There's not much joy in it. But he can survive. He prefers it to the change that would be required by surrendering to Yahweh. 'I'll try another night with the frogs.' "

The most dangerous word is "tomorrow." We choose to stay with the frogs because we aren't willing to submit to God's presence available to us right here, right now.

"Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your hearts...but encourage one another daily, as long as it is called 'today.' " Hebrews 3:7-8, 13

Am about to go on a hike. I'll let you know if I see a frog.

1 comments:

Jodie said...

No frogs, just turtles. Maybe God is telling me to slow down.