I love Christmas. But I don't love the gatherings. Yes, I'm a true introvert.
My family gathering was on Friday, the 23rd. We held Part 1 at my parents' new (small) house. By the end I was tired, hot, grumpy, claustrophobic...done. We were holding Part 2 (dessert) at my sister's. When it was time to head to her house, my sister told her son, Drew (age 10), to go with me. My grumpies were about to disappear.
Drew and I walk outside. Ahhh...fresh air! It was actually quite chilly which just added to the holiday-ness. I had parked quite a distance away so we started down the street enjoying the Christmas lights in the neighborhood. Unprompted, Drew wrapped his arm around my waist. Comfort and joy! I love his sentimentality.
Being our youngest, he is our only remaining kid who still has that Christmas excitement in his eyes. You know...the kind that makes you want to jump out of your skin in anticipation. I had spent a few days with him and knew how excited he was for Christmas morning.
As we strolled down the street I squeezed him and said in a high-pitched enthusiastic voice, "Only two days 'til Christmas! Are you excited?"
"Yeah!" he replied. Then I asked, "What's your favorite thing about Christmas?"
There was about a 3 second pause (which surprised me) and then he replied...
"The giving."
I just about burst into tears. He was sooooo excited about giving his presents to his parents, sister and brother. He had picked out a PERFECT gift for each of them, paid for them with his own money, ordered them online (with mom's help), watched for the UPS truck daily, wrapped them all by himself and hid them secretly. And now he couldn't wait to give them away.
I hope I never forget this Christmas walk.
Meeting the King
4 weeks ago
1 comments:
Nice.
Post a Comment