Friday, December 28, 2007

My New Best Friend





In addition to my new vehicle, I got another incredible new toy for Christmas...a Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. Bear with me...this may be lengthy but it's worth it!!!!

The mixer was another item that I had been eyeing this year. But I just couldn't justify spending over $200 on an appliance. But after coaxings from dear friends who said it is a "must-have," I decided to at least "look into it."

Now of course, I thought I'd go for the least expensive model. But the Fullens convinced me that the heavier duty motor was a must. I'd regret anything less. But this meant I'd be spending over $300 which was just out of the question. So I started searching the internet for Christmas sales but had very little hope. However, Kohls online was the answer.

The heavy duty model, regularly $370, was on sale for $240!! Plus FREE shipping which is usually $50 for this item! So I quickly purchased it so I wouldn't miss out on the great sale. It then dawned on me that I had credit card reward points that I could redeem for Kohl's gift cards!!! I was able to order $175 in gift cards but I had already charged the mixer to my Visa. So I crossed my fingers in hopes I could return the mixer to the store and repurchase it at the sale price with my gift cards when they arrived. Within a week the mixer and the gift cards arrived in the mail.
This is where my new best friend comes in...the very nice guy at Kohl's Customer Service. It went something like this.
  • "May I return this mixer, credit my Visa, and repurchase it at the sale price I found online?" SURE! (thus the title "new best friend")
  • "Then may I put these $175 gift cards towards it?" SURE!
  • "And can I use a scratch-off discount card?" (a promotion they were running) SURE! ...an additional 15% off of $240!
  • "And do I also get the '$10 for every $50 you spend' promotion?" SURE!
  • "Based on the purchase price ($240)?" YEP!
Soooo........the ending balance was $39.19 put on my Kohl's charge PLUS a $4o cash coupon to spend the week after Christmas!!! So basically Kohls paid ME $0.81 to take a $370 mixer off their hands! Yahoo!

If you got lost, it went like this (rounding up)...
$370
(minus $130 on sale)
$252 (with tax)
(minus $175 gift cards)
$77
(minus $36 for 15% discount)
$39.19
(minus $40 for cash coupon)
Equals $0.81 and a $370 mixer!!!

Merry Christmas to me!!!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Yeah Jodie!! I LOVE Kohls AND my Kitchen-Aid! I wouldn't want to be without either. Enjoy!

Amy said...

New car, Kitchen Aid mixer for 81 cents, and a blog! What a great Christmas for you.

Rachel said...

You are an amazing shopper.

Anonymous said...

I want to be Jodie... I want a new best friend!!! There is an old pie safe at thei antique store in Frederick - it is $1000 - can you get the price down?? I REALLY love it!!!!!!

~Amy W.

jen said...

Hey ... I am a bit offended that i am not on the "cool" list ... you should rethink that!!

Anonymous said...

you make me sick

Adam Workman said...

Could you make that work with a Playstation 3? Uh, it's for this friend I have.