Friday, April 4, 2008

Simple Minds

I was blown away by something Joe said last week. God's plans are simple. I never thought of it like that. God keeps things very basic. No complexity to confuse us. Obviously, this was His intentional plan...because we are so thick! He keeps salvation so easy...we are the ones who make it confusing.

I also think God uses the simple so the credit can be given where credit is due...to HIM. He often uses the weak so that HIS power is demonstrated.

So I started to think of samples of "simple" in scripture:

  • David with a slingshot instead of heavy armor
  • Gideon with 300 men instead of 32,000
  • 5 loaves and 2 fish
  • a widow picking up leftover grain in a field
  • 2 spies with giant faith vs. 10 spies who saw giants
  • a baby in a manger instead of a palace
  • a red rope in a window
  • a ram in a thicket
  • a strong man and a haircut
  • a baby floating in the Nile River
  • mud on blind eyes

I often wonder if my simple mind will ever demonstrate any progress. When will I stop making the same mistakes over and over? When will I learn from them and be able to move a step closer to my Savior? In the meantime, I'm so thankful I'm loved by a God whose patience never ends. I'll never understand how He can put up with my simple mind.

2 comments:

Dani said...

I too have been thinking "why do I make the same mistakes over and over"! I think Casting Crowns expressed it well in their song "the altar & the door" when it says,
"I'm trying so hard to stop trying so hard,
Just let You be who You are
Lord, who You are in me" I love that line, life would be so simple if I just got out of His way! Thanks for sharing this.

Kathi Roach said...

This is beautful Jodie. The most simple plan of God's that blows me away is this....one man dying for all of our sins....everyone's sins....for all time! Talk about a simple plan.