Friday, April 2, 2010

It's A Good Friday


I built a fire this evening and decided to read through the crucifixion story. There really IS indescribable power in the words of the Word. Kinda hard to stay self-absorbed and whiney about my menial problems while reading about the "problems" HE had.

Several years ago I wrote a letter to our children's workers at church in response to a reoccuring complaint I was hearing from them..."My class has already heard this story. Why do we have to keep repeating the stories they already know?" In a nutshell, my response was that I don't ever want to stop being able to learn from a shepherd boy who killed a giant no matter how many times I hear the story.

So tonight I read an old story that I've heard hundreds of times. Literally. Yet, I still learned some news things...

  • "And the chief priests and the scribes sought how they might put him to death; for they feared the people." They were afraid of the PEOPLE! Being driven by fear can never lead anywhere good. Well, except maybe in this case because it led to ULTIMATE good.
  • "For who is greater, he who sits at the table, or he who serves? Is it not he who sits at the table? Yet I am among you as the One who serves." Goes against everything we know about levels, ladders and leadership.
  • "And He said to them, 'When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?' So they said, 'Nothing.'” The power of God alone is all we need. Sadly, I don't live that way.
  • “Have you come out, as against a robber, with swords and clubs? When I was with you daily in the temple, you did not try to seize Me." Hmmm. There is no record of their reply.
  • "That very day Pilate and Herod became friends with each other, for previously they had been at enmity with each other." I never realized this.
  • "And Jesus said to him, 'Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with Me in Paradise.'" One of my favorite verses. Proof that salvation is faith alone. The thief had no time to do good works!
  • "Then the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was torn in two." Another favorite verse. I wonder if there was a priest in the temple at that time. I just might have to find him someday and ask him what he experienced at that moment. I guess he lost his job that day!
  • Joseph of Arimathea gave his tomb for Jesus' burial. I wonder if Joseph ended up using the same tomb. Afterall...it was available again!
Happy Good Friday, everyone! We'll be saying "He is risen" very shortly!

0 comments: