Sunday, April 26, 2009

Our Mood Barometer

Take a glance around the net today and you'll quickly discover this has been an absolutely gorgeous weekend in the mid-atlantic. Everyone is raving about it on Facebook and blogs. Clear skies, 90 degrees, zero humidity, lusciously green landscapes after weeks of April showers and wafting tempting grilling smells. Perfect, perfect, perfect. I spent the weekend with my family celebrating my parents' 50th wedding anniversary. All they asked for was a vacation with their entire family. Everyone was able to make it except two of their grandchildren. We went to Massanutten Resort in VA and, yes, it was absolutely beautiful there, too. Hoping to post some photos soon.

I've just arrived home (haven't even unpacked) and am sitting on my deck. My deck is undergoing a complete overhaul so it is torn apart and my backyard is littered with construction trash at the moment. But I couldn't resist spending some time out here before it gets dark (afterall, unpacking can be done after dark). Regardless of the mess, my flowerbeds are beautiful and I just hung two new birdfeeders this week. They are getting a lot of action and I'm greatly enjoying some new sightings. It is going to be hard to tear myself away shortly and begin to prepare for another work week.

So getting back to the net...you'll also notice everyone is in a good mood. Statuses are raving about the weather...praising the sun, excitedly sharing their outdoor activities, thankful hearts and lots of celebrating. But it even goes deeper than that. People who were moping a few days ago have had a sudden change of heart and are praising today. Literally. Things that were getting them down earlier this week have somehow dissipated in the sun. Amazing how the weather dictates our mood. Why don't we hear grateful hearts during the storms? Why do we think our worlds are falling apart when we're experiencing yucky weather yet on a picture perfect day, God suddenly takes all our problems away?

The next dreary spurt or cold spell, I'm going to scrutinize the net for some grateful hearts. I hope I'm one of them.

1 comments:

Jen said...

Well, I, for one, will be praising on those rainy days! I LOVE the rain and cold and I HATE the heat and humidity! But, like you, I hope I can praise GOD in the "storms of life" as well.

Glad you had a great weekend with your family!