Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Copy and Paste

I write for a read-thru-the-Bible-in-a-year blog here. Today's post was so convicting to me I thought I'd duplicate it here.

Scripture:

"I too was convinced that I ought to do all that was possible to oppose the name of Jesus of Nazareth. And that is just what I did in Jerusalem. On the authority of the chief priests I put many of the saints in prison, and when they were put to death, I cast my vote against them. Many a time I went from one synagogue to another to have them punished, and I tried to force them to blaspheme. In my obsession against them, I even went to foreign cities to persecute them." (Acts 26:9-11 NIV)

Observation:

I'm not sure I ever realized the full extent of Paul's bloody past. Traveling from synagogue to synagogue looking for Christians to kill? Going to foreign cities with the intent to murder? He definitely was passionate about his cause. It sounds like he wouldn't let anything hold him back.

Therefore, his conversion was all the more incredible. How could a person do a complete 180 so quickly? One day he's slaughtering Christians, the next day he's championing them. Now that's unheard of transformation! Something so completely impossible to do with our limited human capacity. This had to be a supernatural, divine change of heart.

Application:

I think that we spend a lot of time "waiting" for transformation... depending on a "process" that takes time. We talk about baby steps and "time heals" and a gradual learning process. How many times have I heard and even said, "It's a process. Take one step at a time and God will teach you." I know all those have been tested and proven and I've personally experienced areas of healing through slow painful processes. So, yes, they're tried and true. And sometimes they work.

But why don't we ever expect complete, instant transformations? If God could instantly turn a cold blooded murder into a passionate cause for Christ, can't He do similar 180s today? Can't He remove my addictions instantly? Can't He heal my illness completely with no residual symptoms? Have we limited God? Maybe we expect too little. Maybe we ask for too little. Maybe we've become so accustomed and comfortbable with "the process" that we've neglected the Provider. Maybe we don't want to be transformed.

Prayer:

God, You are a God of miracles. You can breathe life back into a dead man. You could destroy this entire planet with a word if You willed. You are powerful. Yet I don't expect Your power in my life. I don't ask for Your miracles. I settle for human ways instead of expecting Your supernatural power to transform me. I'm sorry, God, for not permitting Your power to change me and thus be a testimony to Your greatness. Show me areas today that only Your incredible transforming power can change in me. Amen.

simply spoken (that would be me)

1 comments:

Brooke said...

like...oh wait this isn't facebook! Very convicting. I need to be asking for immediate victory over struggles--180s. Thanks!