Monday, November 23, 2009

A Lesson in Perspective

The past few months God has been poking and prodding. The messages? Do something beyond yourself, get out of your bubble, use your time, use your gifts, you have too much, you are under-utilizing what I've given you. At MOPS I shared this journey that I've been on and how I've been convicted in these areas. But I admitted to the moms that I hadn't found that "thing" yet...what God was specifically calling me to do.

I think I discovered it today.

There is an organization in my neighborhood that assists families in need. I can actually walk to it (or bike to it!). I've known about it for years and tell people about it and have even dropped off donations when I've cleaned out my closets. But I've never gone IN to volunteer. Until today.

In the basement they house their food pantry. It was an organizer's paradise! They already have a great system in place and are running things very efficiently. But with the two seasons of giving approaching, they were inundated with food donations today. I set to work. Too much detail to go into here. That's not the point of this post (I'll share info with you if you want to know).

I spent 2.5 hrs in my element. I felt like it was only an hour. They actually had to MAKE me leave because they were closing but I didn't want to stop. While there, several families arrived and were given food. I saw need. I saw gratefulness. I saw mercy. I saw care. I saw appreciation. I saw giving. I saw selflessness. I saw Jesus.

I came home and turned on the Food Network. Ironic, I know. As I merged back into my way of life I began seeing things through different eyes. I saw excess. I saw want. I saw waste. I saw extravagance. I saw frills. I saw selfishness. I saw me.

This incredible lesson in perspective emerged. How much different would my life be if I spent more time with those who have less rather than those who have more? Years ago a friend told me that when the Parade of Homes was scheduled in his town (a tour of incredibly beautiful mansions in your area) instead of attending the Parade, he would take his family on a drive through the poorest section of a nearby city. Wow! Talk about perspective! But I could totally see his point. I attended a Parade of Homes once and I found myself wanting MORE. Wish I had that, go out and buy this, I need that, etc. It was sickening. What if I saw how those who have so much less than I lived? Instead of wanting more, I'd be embarrassed at how much I already have.

Perspective. Who you hang around really does affect you.

I can't wait to go back to NESAP tomorrow. And Wednesday. Wish they were open on Thanksgiving.

0 comments: