Wednesday, March 26, 2008

What is it???

"Here I raise my Ebenezer, hither by thy help I'm come"

Don't look it up!
What in the world is an "Ebenezer"???
Come on...real guesses, people.
No, "Scrooges," "Sneezes," or "Artificial knee joints."
And why do we sing it when it has no meaning to the average person? Is it any different than singing in a foreign language?

Alright, you Bible scholars are dying to show how smart you are!

8 comments:

Jenn said...

I heart Google!! This is what I found....

It is usually transliterated as a proper name by dropping the definite article (Ha) from the Hebrew word for "place" (Ezer) and putting it together with the Hebrew word for "stone" (Even) to create: "Ebenezer." The etymological roots of the word, thus defined, should demonstrate that an "Ebenezer" is, literally, a "Stone of Help."

Kathi Roach said...

Have you been reading Keli Houle's Bible, Jodie?

Katie said...

Okay, I'll admit, not a Bible scholar! I'm following the rules and not looking it up - enlighten us please Jodie!

Jen said...

LOL! When I found out this song was on the list this week, I told Jeff he needed to figure out what that meant and find a way to work it in to the worship set. So people would know what the heck they were singing about! Great minds think alike! (Jeff rolled his eyes at me.):-/

Jodie said...

Jeff roll his eyes at Jen? Come now, really?

Jenn said...

Opps.....I missed the "don't look it up" part.....

**Stepping back with my head down**

Sorry......

Kathi Roach said...

You were great up there today!!! I love that you are singing Jodie.

So, now I know where the Ebenezer phrase came from....I still have no idea what it means. Let us know.

Jessica said...

yeah. i have always been confused by this song. and i'm still not too sure why we sing it.

i always thought ebenezer was another expensive perfume type thing.