Friday, March 6, 2009

Tick, Tick, Tick

This morning it dawned on me that I am middle-age. Yes, I have probably been in that category for a few years now but today it finally sunk in. So I frantically texted my sister to inform her of my disturbing discovery. She calls me and says, "We're not middle aged. The average age of our patients is 80-90 yrs old" (she works at a dental office near a nursing home). Uh, Jayne...do the math...half of 80-90 is?...that makes us MIDDLE AGE!

Within a few hours of our conversation it was confirmed. At the Dr's office.

My 3 month diabetes check-up revealed high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol. I head to the pharmacy with three scripts in hand.

GET OUT THE BIKE!! IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW! Oh wait...I'm not allowed to exercise this week because I have stitches on my back and arm due to mole removals that looked suspicious for skin cancer.

Naaaah...I'm not middle-age.

Wikipedia: Middle age is the period of life beyond young adulthood but before the onset of old age.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Pretty sure I am ahead of you a few steps on this path! Lots to say about this but won't clutter your blog more now. So, just remember the "before old age" part. :-) Maybe it's a great day for a gentle walk. :-)

Dani said...

i want to leave a comment...but my foot keeps getting stuck in my mouth :) how about this...keep living your life to the fullest...and remember you're only getting inches closer to the glorious finish line...

Brooke said...

Love every year of you!

Chocolate, Vanilla and Caramel said...

I'm 35 and I feel older than middle-aged, I feel downright OLD! A couple of weeks ago I was feeling so drained and tired and was just really dragging. My dear husband said, "You know, it's not like you to be acting like a 90 year old woman!" Thanks honey!

Courtney said...

I should have read your blog before I hugged on you tonight! Now I understand why you weren't out biking. I agree with Lisa: that "before old age" part should be in bold. I'm right there with you!

marlene said...

When I turned 35, one of my customers at the salon told me I was middle-aged! I said, "NO I'M NOT"! Her way of looking at it was average lifespan is 70, so at 35 you're halfway there! I told her I planned to live to be 100!!

We really aren't getting this old, are we? Gary will turn 49 in September!!!! Yikes!

Btw, he found out in February that his cholesterol is high! Triglycerides are WAY high! So, I bought a heart healthy cookbook and he's trying to make better choices with his eating. He will be re-checked in June and see if it's any better - if not, he's on meds, too.