Thursday, January 28, 2010

Another Crazy Hump Day

I know that everyone already knows this due to facebook. But since I want my blog to be my diary, I need to include this for the record.

It was Wednesday morning. I took a shower and as I was leaving the bathroom, I heard water dripping. It sounded like it was on the stairwell but surely that couldn't be. Must be an echo. I went back into the bathroom to see if I had turned off all the faucets. Yep, no problem. Exited the bathroom again and was sure I heard it in the stairwell. Went downstairs and discovered water dripping from the dining room ceiling. It had run all the way over to the main beam dividing the dining room and living room and was traveling over to the stairwell.

It would take too long to describe all the details of the hours that followed. In a nutshell:

  • a really nice plumber I'd highly recommend; he arrived in an hour
  • a burst supply line to the toilet
  • significant water damage in the dining room and basement
  • insurance company
  • water damage restoration company
  • torn out drywall
  • pulled up carpet
  • 10 dehumidifiers and fans here through Monday
  • obnoxiously loud noise from equipment
  • hot house
  • nails left behind to step on
The rest of Wednesday was surreal. By about 8pm I was over the shock and trying to keep my head up. Today I was able to escape to work but faced a different kind of stress. Before this life-interruption, I was already so behind at work and now I lost another day. Add to that a mild headache all day. Tomorrow I meet the Insurance Adjuster to find out where we go from here.

My house is hot, muggy and noisy. I don't want to be here. To escape I made plans for Friday night and Saturday I'm going to go to work to make up for a lost day.

I am thankful for...
  • running water
  • a roof over my head on a 21 degree winter night
  • health, life and safety
  • insurance companies
  • people who care about me
  • being home when it happened
  • Psalm 139

5 comments:

Mrs. Mike said...

oi vey. yuck.

Lisa Ridgely Photography said...

Jodie, your choice to be positive and look for the things to be grateful for in all of this is so inspiring to me! I hope that things go well with the insurance company, and that your catch-up day at work goes smoothly, too.

Brooke said...

Praying for you, friend!

Jodie said...

Well, not a great outcome with the insurance company. Trying to find those positives today.

Dave Baldwin said...

Ouch!!!